Wednesday, January 30, 2013

My Journey Continued

Greetings, everyone!

If you missed my introductory post, click HERE.  Today I will tell you more about my journey.

After losing 30 pounds in 2010 by running, tracking my calories and exercise on Myfirnesspal, I decided to join a fitness boot camp at a local gym.  It was $60 a month and I wasn't sure I could justify the expense.  I looked at my spending habits and decided that I could cut out my frequent trips to Starbucks (even though I only ordered a skinny vanilla latte, I knew that I would be much better off cutting it out). I also decided that a manicure wasn't priority over my health.  There, I had it covered!  So, off to boot camp I went.  I had never participated in this type of group fitness class.  I'm not going to lie, it was hard the first 3-4 weeks.  I cried at times, doubted myself, said a few choice words, etc.  I thought the instructor was trying to kill us.  I pushed through the sweat, pain and tears and hung in there for about three months.  During those months of boot camp, the weight didn't come off quite as fast as before.  I was irritated with the scales and getting a bit discouraged.  HOWEVER, I was going down in size.  I lost A LOT of inches.  I decided when I hit the 52 pound mark (down from a size 18/20 in September 2010 to an 8/10 in April 2011), that I'd throw away my scales and not face that battle.  I was more concerned with toning up and defining my body.  So, I tossed them into the donation pile. HERE is an interesting article.

After 3 months of bootcamp training, and failed attempts at getting my friends to join with me, I decided that I could dig deep and pull up the "inner leader" that was buried deep inside me from my cheerleading days in high school.  So, I rounded up a few friends willing to meet me at a local park and we set out to improve our health and fitness together.  We started out as a group of four ladies.  As the days went by, people passing by in the park started inquiring about what we were doing.  We invited people to join us.  I disclosed to them that I was not  a certified trainer, therefore the "bootcamp" was free.  People were amazed at this opportunity and started showing up in greater numbers each week. After being told that I was encouraging, uplifting and motivational, I took advice from friends and decided to become a Certified Boot Camp Training Instructor.  The birth of an official business began and I decided to name it Rock N' Body Boot Camp, Inc.

And so, the journey began into being "self employed" and a "trainer".  Little did I know, this would prove to be one of the most AMAZING things I've ever ventured out on.  I love people, I love motivating them, I love hearing their victories, struggles and most of all, I love seeing them grow stronger, overcome obstacles, become healthier and most of all, HAPPIER and having an improved quality of life!

Rock N' Body Boot Camp ended up becoming something that would lead me down a totally different path after 21 months.  That path was CROSSFIT!  Yes, the thing that most people are scared to death of.  I have to admit, I was SCARED to try it.  It was intimidating and seemed barbaric.  So, my first WOD (Crossfit acronym for Workout of the Day) was December 5, 2012.  I drank the kool aid and it was GOOD!  I was hooked!  I'll have a new blog post in the upcoming days to tell you more about this journey!

In the mean time, TRAIN HARD, EAT SMART!

Here is a comparison pic



No comments:

Post a Comment